QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Senior Scientist – Chemistry Team
We seek to hire a multi-talented and experienced Senior Chemist to support the QuantuMDx commercialisation programme, by working within the Chemistry team to develop the Company’s diagnostic platform, the Q-POC™.
The role entails significant interdisciplinary responsibility, with the focus of the work directed towards materials chemistry. Leading and supporting developments spanning materials science, polymer chemistry, surface chemistry, small molecule synthetic design and in-depth characterisation techniques, the candidate’s broad portfolio of skills should allow that person to take ownership of multiple integral modules. Extensive experience in managing relationships with external service providers and partners will also greatly aid the right candidate, as will an aptitude for problem solving industry-level challenges with intuitive yet commercially viable solutions.
The successful candidate must be able to work closely with physicists, engineers and biologists to overcome ever-evolving challenges, whilst maintaining focus on the Company’s commercial objectives. The Senior Chemist must draw upon a strong research background as well as significant industrial experience to provide chemical insight and direction to the QuantuMDx product development team.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- To be a laboratory based Senior Chemist, within the Chemistry team located in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- To utilise in-depth knowledge of materials chemistry & chemical synthesis, including surface characterization techniques, to develop and optimise QuantuMDx’s product development.
- To maintain and establish working relationships with a number of external partners, service providers and suppliers.
- To provide pivotal technical input on external and internal projects.
- To lead and support their own project team to guarantee delivery of distinct and trackable objectives.
- Produce high quality projects plans, experimental strategies and technical reports.
- To report to and support the Chemistry Team Lead.
- Follow and implement strict safety procedures.
- Work within the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards.
- Contribute and support multiple interdisciplinary projects and effectively interact with the other Technical and Development teams.
- Follow and produce detailed lab SOPs.
- Ability to maintain lab equipment as well as trouble shoot technical problems.
- Record results accurately in a Laboratory Book in accordance with Company policy/GDP.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A PhD (or equivalent) in chemistry or related chemical / materials science.
- In-depth understanding of materials science, surface chemistry and polymer synthesis.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant industrial experience.
- Experience in managing multiple external partner relationships.
- Prior experience within a role entailing new product development (NPD).
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and COSHH.
- A track record for project leaderships and coordination with other scientists.
- Meticulous record keeping and a willingness to learn new skills and techniques.
- Experience in working to very tight deadlines across multiple projects.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and the ability to work in an ever changing environment.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- An understanding of the molecular device market.
- Previous experience of infectious disease diagnostics.
- Familiarity with global regulatory requirements that pertain to product development and IVD manufacturing (e.g. CE IVD mark, FDA, etc.).
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to HR@QUANTUMDX.COM.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, handheld diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.