QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Group Vice President of R&D
Group Vice President of Research & Development
The position of Vice President of Research & Development forms a key role within QuantuMDx Group Ltd. The position manages and oversees the company’s R&D function and is responsible for managing and supervising R&D staff. The position supports the activities of QuantuMDx’s Chief Scientific Officer on scientific matters and is responsible for completing the development of the company’s device platforms and their disposables and managing the transfer to manufacturing and scale.
As a member of Senior Management, the Vice President of Research & Development participates in strategic planning and budgeting initiatives and will be a member of the executive team.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Responsible for managing and overseeing the R&D activities for QuantuMDx, in support of the CSO;
- Planning, development, roll out and management all QuantuMDx’s R&D activities.
- Manage the completion of the company’s device platforms and disposables.
- Manage the translation of assays to the disposable
- Work with the company’s End User and Clinical teams to ensure the products meets the needs of the market.
- Work with the Operations and Manufacturing teams to ensure a smooth and seamless transition from R&D to scale.
- Provide inspiration and commitment to the team.
- In collaboration with the CSO, oversee the selection of research projects to insure they have the potential to add value.
- Manage collaborative technology opportunities with industry partners.
- Monitor competing and complementary technologies and keep the board up to date with emerging technologies
- Lead all stages of product development as well as cross-functional activities.
- Provide hands-on technical expertise, consultation and project support to core development programs.
- Provide product design advice based on conclusions of testing and research activities and proactively identify shortfalls and challenges in the company’s development programs.
- Review and approve protocols and generate reports in accordance with ISO13485.
- Work with partner company engineering teams on product concepts, development and processes.
- Present company technology and products to government, industry, academic, and investor groups at congresses and meetings.
- Support the company in patenting, regulatory and commercialisation activities;
- Provide scientific advice and guidance to the CSO;
- Undertake other tasks as may reasonably be requested from time to time by the Group CSO
- Responsible to alerting the CSO to any problems with the R&D development, timelines and any other matter that may deleteriously affect the delivery of the company’s projects or products.
- Manage the R&D team and report to the CSO.
Main Technical Skills Needed:
An extraordinary individual trained in engineering who has an excellent track record of general management, scientific and project management and strong leadership skills.
- 10+ years in medical device implant R&D with 5+ years in a hands-on management role.
- Thorough understanding of all stages of IVD & medical device development and market introduction.
- A strong technical understanding and experience in integrated molecular diagnostic device and disposable development and a proven ability to work with teams of scientists and engineers to accomplish product development goals.
- Experience in integrated molecular diagnostics and manufacturing.
- A firm understanding of planning, budgeting, staff development and financial management.
- An understanding of intellectual property rights and the medical device regulatory environment.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects, as well as outstanding teamwork and the ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Strong ability to apply knowledge and provide imaginative solutions to difficult problems.
- Strong capability of assessing in vitro and in vivo properties of device/device components.
- Knowledge of the Device interface and challenges.
- Knowledge of FDA, GMP, QSR and ISO 13485 requirements.
- Experience working with and maintaining controlled environments (ISO 7 cleanroom).
- Proficiency with 3D solid modelling software, MS Office, and analytical/statistical software.
- Knowledge of other biomaterials, plastics, elastomers, and solvents a plus.
- Ability to work well both independently and within a diverse team in Europe and USA.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel internationally
- Good sense of humour and ability to adapt to a changing environment as the Company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, handheld diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.