We are looking for a skilled mechanical engineer to develop engineering solutions for our Q-POCTM platform, to develop engineering solutions for research and commercial development across our platforms, and to liaise with our engineering partners across the globe to realise the Q-POCTM platform.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities.
This ideal candidate is someone with diverse experience and great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
The candidate hired for this role will work within a team of scientists and engineers developing QuantuMDx’s portable molecular diagnostic device and molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases.
They will interact with, and ensure excellent communication with, the other QuantuMDx R&D groups and external engineering partners.
The candidate will also be required to not only work within the development team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, but also work as part of a wider research group, with QuantuMDx’s other laboratories and partners globally.
They will adhere to all of QuantuMDx’s Quality Assurance (QA) Systems.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- The candidate hired for this role will be an extraordinary individual who has strong technical understanding and experience in engineering design, ideally for life science instrumentation and microfluidics, and a proven ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers to accomplish product development goals.
- Experience with a modern CAD system, preferably SolidWorks.
- Understanding of the dimensioning, tolerancing and surface roughnesses necessary for microfluidics.
- Knowledge of techniques for design for manufacture, assembly and maintenance.
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects.
- Understanding of appropriate manufacturing processes.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and an ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in product engineering preferably with experience of life science instrumentation.
- MSc or equivalent in a Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Good sense of humour, team player and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Experience with flow and thermal simulation.
- Experience with microfluidics
- Understanding of materials for microfluidics.
- Design of instruments and consumables for the Life Sciences.
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements.
- Familiarity with global regulatory requirements that pertain to product development and in vitro device manufacturing (e.g. CE IVD mark, FDA, etc).
- An understanding of electronics.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, due for commercialisation in 2019, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™ and rapid sample preparation kit DNA-XT™.