QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Research Scientist – BioSensor
Research Scientist - BioSensor
This role requires a Research Scientist to support the Group’s R&D programme by assisting and contributing to lab-based research work, particularly with regard to biosensors, carried out within QuantuMDx.
As part of the biosensor team you will be developing systems allowing electronic signature of biological events to be detected and allow interrogation of biological assays. QuantuMDx have proprietary IP in the use of Nanowires for this application and are developing and partnering with key market leaders to ensure parallel sensing strategies and rapid disease diagnostics.
We have a world leading, multi-disciplinary team of scientists who continue to develop platform technologies continually driving down the cost, precision and time-to-result of our diagnostic assays and you will be joining a fast paced, highly motivated team.
The nature of the role will require integration and communication with Assay, Chemistry, Engineering teams all under the guidance of the quality team and the ISO13485 framework. As such you must be an excellent communicator orally and in written work.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Supporting Group laboratory focused R&D as directed by Line Manager and recording results accurately and honestly in a Lab Book in accordance with Company policy.
- Writing accurate experimental plans, reports and maintain inventories
- Recording and interpreting results to present to senior management and external partners.
- Keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability.
- Conducting searches on identified topics relevant to Group R&D programme, as directed by Line Manager.
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Supporting the Group Research Manager and Quality Assurance Manager in developing, implementing, communicating and maintaining a quality plan to bring the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies into compliance with ISO13485 standards.
- Effectively interacting with Technical and Development teams to ensure analysis is performed in accordance with company procedures.
- Working with purchasing staff to establish Quality requirements from external suppliers.
- Ensuring tests and procedures are properly understood, carried out and evaluated and that modifications are investigated if necessary.
- Complying with QA standards and policies and ensuring that targets are achieved.
- Constructing, maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment.
- Ensuring the laboratory is well‐stocked and resourced.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- An inherent willingness to research, develop and explore scientific methodologies and ideas in response to research and device developmental challenges.
- To adhere at all times to the legislation, guideline and demands of the external and internal regulatory environments.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-‐paced projects.
- Knowledge of biosensors and operational characteristics when applied to label free detection methods.
- Experience of MATLAB programming would be an advantage
- A good sense of humour and ability to adapt to a changing environment as the Company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialization.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and diagnostics companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device, Q-POC™, is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics. Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering gold-standard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the price of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing for just a few dollars, in any setting globally.