QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Assay Technician
This role requires a highly self-motivated and enthusiastic Assay Technician to work in the Assay Team of the QuantuMDx Research and Development programme. This role involves laboratory-based experimentation, which will assist in the development of QuantuMDx’s point of care diagnostic platform, as well maintenance and service provision. Laboratory work will focus on testing & developing DNA-/RNA- based DNA extraction & purification technologies. There will also be some involvement in experimental design and in determining the future direction of the company’s R&D and commercial products.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- To be part of the Assay team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne advancing the molecular biology used in QuantuMDx’s flagship device, the Q-POC.
- To aid in the development, optimisation & commercialisation of a range of proprietary sample-to-result diagnostic products.
- Test, optimise & develop new and existing DNA extraction technologies.
- To work not only within the Assay team, but also to provide scientific support across the QMDx teams and laboratories.
- Perform DNA/RNA extraction on a range of biological samples.
- To work to ensure the company’s research is fully compliant with Quality System Regulations (QSRs) that meet FDA, IVDD, and ISO expectations.
- To disseminate and present research data internally.
- To provide support to the commercialization activities of the company.
- Record and present data to line manager & colleagues.
- Attend lab, team and project meetings.
- Write scientific plans and reports, SOPs, Risk assessments, COSHH forms.
- Manipulate and analyse datasets.
- Contribute to maintenance of the lab and equipment.
- Work within the quality systems, including following GDP and working towards ISO 13485.
- Undertake other tasks as may reasonably be requested be senior staff.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A Degree (e.g. BSc) in Biomedical Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related subject.
- Proven laboratory experience, including the use of basic biological research equipment, such as pipettes & centrifuges, and maintaining a laboratory notebook.
- Experience of PCR techniques.
- A keen interest in R&D, a willingness to learn, and the drive to develop a molecular diagnostics device that could help millions of people.
- Good mathematical skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to fit into a fast-paced, dynamic team environment as the Company matures and moves from the R&D stage towards commercialisation.
- A highly motivated, organized, proactive and enthusiastic individual with a proven ability to work well on their own initiative or as part of a team.
- Good multi-tasking and time-management skills.
- Good sense of humour.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- This job may require travel throughout the UK and some international trips.
- A Master’s Degree (e.g. MSc, MRes) in Biomedical Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related subject.
- Experience of handling biological samples, such as blood and/or cell cultures.
- Experience of real-time qPCR, DNA extraction procedures or work involving RNA.
- Some knowledge of microfluidic systems.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, due for commercialisation in 2019, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™ and rapid sample preparation kit DNA-XT™.