We’re looking for a multi-talented and resourceful Research Scientist to join our Chemistry team and support the QuantuMDx Group commercialisation programme. It’s an opportunity for candidates with a strong background in materials science and surface chemistry, to provide essential support to a variety of projects leading to the development of the Q-POC™ platform and diagnostic assays.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
The candidate should have experience in the modification of thermoplastics, using physical and chemical surface characterisation techniques as well as a sound understanding of organic chemistry, all ideally drawn from the completion of PhD in Chemistry within a related topic or through 3 years of relevant industry experience.
Crucial success factors for this position include the ability to work in a fast paced, cross-functional group environment, with a willingness to be involved across a wide area of responsibilities. The ideal candidate should pride themselves in their aptitude for problem solving industry-level challenges with intuitive yet economical solutions.
The successful candidate will be expected to conduct and develop a variety of techniques, including:
- Surface activation for the modification of thermoplastics
- Functional group manipulation and conversion on sensitive surfaces
- Handling of DNA and fluorescently labelled DNA for fluorescence microscopy imaging
- Data collation and analysis
- Ability to follow and produce detailed lab SOPs
- Ability to maintain lab equipment as well as trouble shoot technical problems
- Record results accurately in a Laboratory Book in accordance with Company policy/GDP
- Record and interpret results accurately to present to line manager
- Presentation of results to mixed discipline audiences
- Design and execute thorough experimental plans and yield concise reports
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks
- Work within the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards
- Effectively interact with other Technical and Development teams
- Comply with QA standards and policies and ensure that targets are achieved
- Provide support to the commercialisation activities of the company
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A PhD (or equivalent) in chemistry or chemical sciences, related to surface chemistry of thermoplastics
- Experience of characterisation techniques such as AFM, contact angle, IR and XPS analysis
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and COSHH
- Ability to work with a team of multidisciplinary scientists to accomplish project objectives and goals
- Excellent laboratory skills with a proven track record of problem-solving abilities
- Meticulous record keeping and a willingness to learn new skills and techniques
- Experience in working to very tight deadlines across multiple projects
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Excellent communication/IT skills and the ability to work in an ever-changing environment
- Outstanding teamwork and ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Be eligible to work in the UK without restriction
- Industrial experience as well as GLP and/or ISO standard experience
- Previous experience in handling DNA
- Knowledge of infectious disease and their diagnosis
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to moc.xdmutnauq@tnemtiurcer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include the pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™.