We are looking for a Research Scientist who will work within the Assay Team to develop point of care molecular diagnostic assays and associated technologies. It is an opportunity for candidates with a strong background in molecular biology/diagnostics to take a key role on projects leading to the development of the Q-POC™ platform and diagnostic assays.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
This role requires an experienced Assay Research Scientist to support the QuantuMDx Group commercialisation program by working within the Assay team to develop the Company’s diagnostic platform, the Q-POC™.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities. A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges is essential as the company grows and projects expand.
Working with chemists, software developers and engineers, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of nucleic acid testing.
- Run, test and develop QuantuMDx’s microfluidic diagnostic platforms
- Work within the assay Team and across software, electronic and engineering groups
- Lead the development and testing of new DNA amplification and detection technology
- Design, develop and test new PCR based diagnostic assays and help see them through to commercialisation
- Work towards the goals of collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for some.
- Generate, record and present complex data, to line manager, colleagues, senior management and external partners.
- Attend lab, team and project meetings and present and report findings
- Write scientific plans and reports, SOPs, Risk assessments, COSHH forms.
- Manipulate and analyses
- Keep up to date with the literature on Point of care diagnostics, rapid PCR, infectious disease diagnostics and other relevant areas.
- Contribute to maintenance of the lab and equipment
Work within the quality systems following GDP and working to ISO 13485 standard
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A minimum of PhD in life sciences or equivalent experience in an non-academic setting
- Experience in the design and development and testing of diagnostic assays
- Detailed knowledge of of nucleic acid amplification and detection chemistries, including significant hands on experience with qPCR
- Knowledge of bioinformatics, statistics and data analysis including R, manipulation of sequence data, analysis of assay performance
- Significant wet lab experience covering general molecular techniques
- Proven ability to take a leading role on multidisciplinary projects and ability to interact with external partners on fast paced projects
- Ability to work to the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards
- Excellent work ethic and strong communication skills.
- Good sense of humor and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Several years’ experience in relevant areas such as product development, assay development, diagnostics, technology development.
- Previous experience in the design and development of diagnostic devices
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative projects with external partners
- Previous experience in an industry or startup setting
- Previous experience in the validation and verification of molecular diagnostic assays
- Knowledge and experience of microfluidics
- Experience with the manipulation and development of PCR chemistries for diagnostic tests
- Experience with the stabilization of PCR chemistry (eg lyophilisation)
- Knowledge of infectious diseases and their diagnosis.
- Experience of product development
- Knowledge and experience with fluorescence imaging and optics
- Knowledge of software languages eg Pearl, Python
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, due for commercialisation in 2019, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™ and rapid sample preparation kit DNA-XT™.