We are looking for a Principal Scientist to support our commercialisation programme, to work within the Assay Development Team to develop the company’s diagnostic platform, Q-POC™ and associated assay menu.
You must be able to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities. A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges is essential as the company grows and projects expand.
Working with chemists, physicists and engineers, you will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of sample processing and nucleic acid testing. The initial focus will be supporting the development of our High Risk-HPV assay for the Q-POC platform™.
The role requires the planning and execution of experiments and development tasks, in addition to liaising with suppliers, partners and facility managers. The role also includes the support and mentoring of Clinical Assay Team Research Scientists and Technicians. You will also support the Team Lead with administrative duties, attending meetings and compiling reports where required.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Plan, and where required perform, general molecular and microbiology-based tasks, including assay design, sample processing, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, fluorescence microscopy, tissue culture, bacterial culture and quantification.
- Record results accurately and in a Laboratory Book in accordance with Company policy and GDP.
- Report to and support the Team Lead, participate in lab meetings, document review and lab book review.
- Be able to follow and write SOPs and review those written by junior staff.
- Support the planning and execution of experiments by others in the team and across project teams as required.
- Support the transition of infectious disease assays from research into development.
- Support the transfer and optimisation of molecular assays from bench top to bespoke platforms.
- Support the Validation and Verification activities of the project team.
- To provide support to the commercialisation activities of the company.
- Comply with and help to enforce safe laboratory practices.
- Comply with regulatory requirements of working with clinical samples.
- Effectively interact with other Technical and Development teams including those of external partners.
- Record and interpret results to present to project groups and senior management.
- Represent QuantuMDx by presenting results and project updates to external parties.
- Support the Team lead and Business development team in grant writing and reporting.
- Work within the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards.
- Comply with QA standards and policies and ensuring that targets are achieved.
- Comply with and help to enforce safe laboratory practices.
- Work within the standards required to maintain HSE approval for handling CL2 and CL3 organisms.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A PhD with significant experience in molecular biology
- Significant commercial/industrial experience in developing IVD assays and in particular MDx assays on established commercial platforms.
- GLP and ISO 13485 standard experience.
- Previous experience of assay validation.
- Previous experience working with clinical samples including the ethical implications.
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and containment.
- Previous experience supervising scientists or PhD students.
- Previous experience running projects.
- Ability to work with of scientists to accomplish research project objectives and goals.
- Meticulous record keeping.
- A willingness to learn new techniques and a readiness to understand technologies from multiple disciplines.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast paced projects.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Previous experience working with HPV.
- Previous experience of molecular diagnostics for infectious diseases.
- Previous experience of lab on a chip and/or cassette/cartridge based MDx platforms.
- Knowledge of statistics and advanced data presentation.
- Previous experience of working in a microbiology lab and with BSL II organisms.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to moc.xdmutnauq@tnemtiurcer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that may be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include the pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT®.