We’re looking for an enthusiastic Microbiology Laboratory Technician to assist the Laboratory Manager and Assay Feasibility Team Lead with running QuantuMDx’s Microbiology facility and other laboratories. The role involves a wide range of responsibilities, meaning you must be well organised, able to multitask and adapt to the dynamic nature of a busy working laboratory.
The main focus of your role will be to prepare and maintain media and culture stocks required for microbiology related research within QuantuMDx but will also require the candidate to assist Research Scientists and the Laboratory co-ordination team in the general operation of the laboratory facilities. You must have a background knowledge in life sciences, including microbiology and tissue culture, and be confident working in a laboratory environment. The role will require strict adherence to both Quality and Health and Safety requirements and strong communication skills, patience and the ability to work as part of a wider team are also key attributes required for the role.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Maintain media and consumable stocks within the Microbiology laboratory.
- Physical and digital organization and maintenance of frozen cell banks (microorganisms and human samples).
- Propagate and maintain living stocks of microorganisms.
- Maintain tissue cultures.
- Identify and enumerate a selection of microorganisms.
- Prepare, maintain, and perform quality control testing of laboratory media used for the growth and propagation of microorganisms.
- Prepare cultures of viable pathogenic and non-pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
- Prepare microbiological samples for Research Scientists and assist in other research activities when required.
Assisting the Laboratory Manager with:
- Taking receipt of equipment and consumables.
- Monitoring and updating of laboratory inventory including disposal of out-of-date reagents and media.
- Monitoring consumable usage and re-stocking laboratories.
- Ensuring laboratories are operated in line with quality standards for ISO 13485 and HTA regulations.
- Preparation of laboratory reagents (weekly).
- Ensuring laboratory waste is correctly managed.
- Operation of the autoclave and glasswasher.
- Ensuring laboratory equipment is maintained and subject to appropriate calibration and servicing.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- BSc in a life science subject or extensive equivalent experience.
- Experience of working in a microbiology laboratory.
- Experience in culturing of various microorganisms on solid and in liquid media.
- Experience working with aseptic techniques.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Ability to record results/data accurately and with great attention to detail.
- Laboratory skills including use of volumetric & weighing equipment.
- Good numeracy skills.
- Basic computer literacy including MS Word and Excel
- Eligibility to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- BSc/MSc in Microbiology or Biomedical Science with Microbiology.
- Experience in enumeration of microorganisms.
- Experience in a similar industrial role.
- Experience working to ISO 13485.
- Knowledge of Quality Management Systems.
- Experience working within a BSL II and BSL III laboratory.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to moc.xdmutnauq@tnemtiurcer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
QuantuMDx’ flagship device is the Q-POC™, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
QuantuMDx is currently involved in helping to alleviate the current Covid-19 pandemic and has launched a Covid-19 Test Kit to be deployed in high throughput laboratories and carry out much needed molecular testing.
The company is also developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include the pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT®.