We are looking for an enthusiastic Microbiology Laboratory Technician to assist the Laboratory Manager and Clinical Assay Team Lead with running the QuantuMDx Microbiology facility and other laboratories. The role involves a wide range of responsibilities, meaning you must be extremely well organised, able to multitask and adapt to the dynamic nature of a busy working laboratory.
The main focus of the role will be to maintain media and culture stocks required for microbiology related research within QuantuMDx but will also require you to assist Research Scientists and the Laboratory co-ordination team in the general operation of the laboratory facilities. You must have a background knowledge in life sciences including microbiology and be confident working in a laboratory environment. The role will require strict adherence to both Quality and Health and Safety requirements and strong communication skills, patience and the ability to work as part of a wider team.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Maintaining media and consumable stocks within the Microbiology laboratory
- Maintaining frozen stocks of microorganisms and human samples
- Maintaining living stocks of microorganisms
- Identification and enumeration of micro-organisms
- Prepare, maintain, and perform quality control testing of laboratory media used for the growth and propagation of microorganisms.
- Cultures by propagation viable pathogenic and non-pathogenic stock cultures of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Preparing microbiological samples for Research Scientists
Assisting the Laboratory Manager with:
- Taking receipt of equipment and consumables
- Monitoring and updating of laboratory inventory including disposal of out-of-date reagents and media
- Monitoring consumable usage and re-stocking laboratories
- Ensuring laboratories are operated in line with quality standards for ISO 13485
- Preparation of laboratory reagents (weekly)
- Ensuring laboratory waste is correctly managed
- Operation of the autoclave and glasswasher
- Ensuring laboratory equipment is maintained and subject to appropriate calibration and servicing
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- BSc in a life science subject or extensive equivalent experience
- Experience of working in a microbiology laboratory.
- Experience of culturing and growing microorganisms on solid media and in liquid media
- Experience of working with aseptic techniques
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Ability to record results/data accurately and with attention to detail.
- Laboratory skills including use of volumetric & weighing equipment.
- Good numeracy skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Basic computer literacy including MS Word and Excel.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- BSc in Microbiology or Biomedical Science (with Microbiology)
- Experience in media preparation
- Experience in enumeration of microorganisms
- Experience in a similar industrial role would be desirable.
- Experience working to ISO 13485.
- Knowledge of Quality Management Systems.
- Experience working within a BSL 2 laboratory
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to moc.xdmutnauq@tnemtiurcer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that may be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include the pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT®