We’re looking for a Mechanical Engineer to undertake development and optimisation of consumables for our Q-POC™ platform. Working within the engineering team and with the science teams, you will develop consumable products and ideally have experience of realising design concepts into products.
Working with biologists, engineers and chemists, you will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of nucleic acid testing. The focus of work is to further develop microfluidic PCR devices and accessories, which form part of a point of care diagnostic platform, through to manufacturing. This role inputs into the design, testing and implementation of these devices and component modules.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- To significantly contribute to the development, optimisation and manufacture of efficient, reliable, robust and cost effective microfluidic diagnostic devices.
- Work to improve and optimise the microfluidic PCR solution in the Q-POC system, with the aid of the Engineering and Assay teams, ensuring microfluidic systems handle the developed assays in a robust and reliable manner on all of QuantuMDx’s platforms
- Support the implementation of design improvements as diagnostic devices approach commercialisation.
- Bring manufacturing expertise to component design including injection moulding and assembly of plastic/polymer components
- Support Group R&D as directed by Line Manager and record results accurately, and in accordance with Company policy, and presents them to senior management.
- Generate project plans, experimental plans and reports.
- Design and prototyping microfluidic components and supporting test rigs.
- Coordinate the manufacture of prototype parts, both internally and with our network of suppliers.
- Perform complex analysis of engineering tolerances on manufactured parts, with solid understanding of suitable materials and assembly techniques
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- To provide engineering support to the commercialisation activities of the company.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A highly motivated and enthusiastic individual, with a proven ability to work with a team of engineers and scientists to accomplish development objectives and goals.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent experience in mechanical & manufacturing engineering,
- A proven ability of application of statistical techniques for design and process validation.
- Expert in 3D CAD Design for the generation of designs (SolidWorks is preferred).
- An understanding of Design for Manufacture and an appreciation of the cost implications of design choices.
- An inherent willingness to research, develop and explore technical methodologies and ideas in response to research and device developmental challenges, and a willingness to apply cutting edge techniques to rigorous and ethical research, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- To adhere at all times to the legislation, guidelines and demands of the external and internal regulatory environments.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Significant experience in developing engineering solutions, preferably in the point-of-care diagnostics environment.
- Outstanding teamwork, a great sense of humour and ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide range of responsibilities and a great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Experience in the engineering and development of Lab-on-chip microfluidic devices and knowledge of manufacturing techniques for microfluidics, including machining, moulding and bonding.
- Hands-on experience fabricating and prototyping microfluidic devices using a variety of manufacturing techniques such as micromilling, 3D printing. Knowledge of material types and properties, including optical and thermal properties.
- Experience handling biological samples such as DNA, blood, saliva, bacteria and a firm understanding of PCR, Cell Lysis, DNA hybridisation, molecular diagnostics and medical devices.
- Knowledge of suitable flow modelling packages and thermal modelling packages is advantageous, such as COMSOL
- Experience of 2D CAD Design for the generation of designs (AutoCAD is preferred).
- Experience in product commercialisation.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to moc.xdmutnauq@tnemtiurcer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include the pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™.