We are looking for a Chief Engineer to lead the instrument and consumable engineering development teams at QuantuMDx. The Chief Engineer must provide a world class electronic engineering, mechanical engineering, fluidics, and consumables development capability to QuantuMDx, through the recruitment and development of permanent employees, contractors, consultants and other external suppliers.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
You will lead the hardware team through the design, development and launch, of a commercially viable Q-POC platform (rapid, point of care, in-vitro diagnostics medical device). Additionally, you will support and lead as necessary engineering delivery through technical leadership of significant interdisciplinary development projects and provision of technical guidance to the technical leads. This role will sit on a cross-functional R&D leadership team alongside the VP R&D and other department leads to ensure the continuous improvement of QuantuMDx’s R&D capability.
- Lead the Engineering team to deliver the Q-POC platform – sample collection device, single use test cassette and electro-mechanical reader
- Recruit engineers as needed and develop processes to deliver engineering excellence in close collaboration with other members of the QuantuMDx management team
- Define the engineering strategy for the development and scale-up of a complex electro-mechanical instrument and high-volume test cassette, complete with sensors, actuators, optics, and fluidics, ensuring that it performs reliably, delights users and meets the required cost targets
- Be accountable for delivery of the Q-POC platform and realising the Cost of Goods targets
- Communicate high level engineering strategy, demonstrating how decisions made will impact the rest of the organisation, whilst being able to dive into technical detail, where required, to justify and represent the impact of big decisions
- Forge an especially strong working relationship with other members of the technical leadership team ensuring a productive partnership
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- Successful leadership of the development and deployment of at least two portable or handheld electromechanical products incorporating electronics, software, mechanics, optics, industrial design and user interfaces, including:
- Delivery focused technical leadership
- Identification, selection and management of appropriate third party development and manufacturing suppliers
- DfX and transfer to manufacture
- Modelling, measuring and reducing COGS to meet commercialisation targets
- Product reliability improvements development and scale-up
- Compliance with regulatory requirements
- Leadership within multiple simultaneous product development programmes with matrixed resources
- Demonstrated ability to influence engineering strategy
- Capable of developing an engineering team, either in a start-up or new business unit within a larger organisation
- Management and development of a group of 20+ engineers working in an interdisciplinary environment (some direct and indirect through a number of team leads)
- Developing products in a multi-disciplinary environment in which engineering must help define interfaces with other subsystems
- Design and development of manufacturing processes for single-use disposable products
- Functional and delivery leadership to expedite product development
- Existing knowledge of relevant third party manufacturing partners for electromechanical products and injection-moulded consumables
- Medical device / IVD / Life Sciences product development including integration of engineering with other disciplines and compliance with the relevant FDA / EU regulations and standards (e.g. ISO 13485)
- Expert engineer with the credibility, vision and authority to motivate and influence a broad range of engineers and scientists
- Experienced people manager with the ability to help development engineers reach their potential
- Strategic and innovative thinker, develops new routes to solving product development problems (both technical and organisational)
- Ability to thrive in a rapid development environment with devolved decision-making and significant autonomy
- Excellent communicator with people of all levels, from technician to CEO
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to moc.xdmutnauq@tnemtiurcer.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that may be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include the pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™.