The successful candidate will work within the Assay Team to develop point of care molecular diagnostic assays and associated technologies. It is an opportunity for candidates with a strong background in sequence based bioinformatics to take a key role on projects leading to the development of the QPOC platform and diagnostic assays.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
This role requires an experienced bioinformatician to support the QuantuMDx Group commercialisation program by working within the Assay Team to support the development of assays for the Company’s diagnostic platform, the Q-POC™.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be involved across a wide area of responsibilities. A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges is essential as the company grows and projects expand.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of nucleic acid testing.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Work within the Assay Team to deliver molecular diagnostic product pipeline
- Collate and annotate reference sequences across multiple microorganisms
- Create and implement new custom tools to store and interpret sequence data
- Interrogate sequence data and design new diagnostic assays.
- Work towards the goals of collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for some.
- Generate, record and present complex data, to line manager, colleagues, senior management and external partners.
- Attend lab, team and project meetings and present and report findings
- Write scientific plans and reports, SOPs, Risk assessments.
- Manipulate and analyses datasets.
- Keep up to date with the literature on point of care diagnostics, assay design, infectious disease diagnostics and other relevant areas.
- Work within the quality systems following GDP and working to ISO 13485 standard.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- BSc/MSc degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (i.e. bioinformatics, biology, computational science)
- PhD in a relevant subject (i.e. bioinformatics, genomics) or previous work experience in a relevant technical, scientific role
- Experience in bioinformatic analysis of sequencing data
- Relevant experience in bioinformatics with a strong preference for microbial genomics experience
- Familiarity with sequencing data (Sanger and NGS) and standard bioinformatics tools (alignment, variant calling, assembly etc.)
- Experience in data manipulation and analysis of large genomic datasets
- Knowledge and competence in R and other programming languages
- Experience of sequence database development and management
- Experience in nucleic acid amplification-based assay design and development
- Knowledge of nucleic acid amplification and detection chemistries
- Knowledge of statistics
- Ability to work to the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards
- Excellent work ethic and strong communication skills.
- Good sense of humour and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Several years’ experience in relevant areas such as bioinformatic support of assay development, diagnostics, and technology development.
- Previous experience in the design and development of diagnostic devices
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative projects with external partners
- Previous experience in an industry or startup setting
- Previous experience in the validation and verification of molecular diagnostic assays
- Hands on experience with the manipulation and development of PCR chemistries for diagnostic tests
- Knowledge of infectious diseases and their diagnosis
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, due for commercialisation in 2020, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™ and rapid sample preparation kit DNA-XT™.