QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Software Engineer
QuantuMDx is looking for a skilled and motivated software engineer to develop software for both our Q-POCTM platform and internal research platforms, in addition to liaising with our engineering and software partners across the globe to realise the Q-POCTM system.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, in a highly collaborative manner.
The ideal candidate is someone with a great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows.
Key roles & responsibilities
The role is primarily concerned with the production of code, encompassing the entire Software Development Lifecycle. As such requirements analysis, system design and maintenance duties will be required, in addition to writing and debugging code. Though most of the role is concerned with the production of application level software, it will also involve some level of embedded firmware development on devices such as PICs and Arduino microcontrollers.
Working within a team of scientists and engineers developing systems capable of running molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases.
Interact with and ensure excellent communication with the other QuantuMDx R&D groups, primarily the biosensor team and external engineering partners. In particular, effective communication and collaboration with other Engineering Team members will be essential for the delivery of multidisciplinary projects. Such projects are typical of work undertaken at QuantuMDx and may include some or all of mechanical, electronics and microfluidics aspects, in addition to software and firmware development.
Must adhere to all of QuantuMDx’s Quality Assurance (QA) Systems.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- The candidate hired for this role will be an extraordinary developer who has strong technical understanding and the tenacity to drive technical solutions to completion with limited supervision, as well as seeking guidance as and when required.
- Experience developing for Linux and Android is essential. Ideally the candidate has experience developing for Linux or Android on bespoke hardware.
- Experience developing GUI applications using frameworks such as WPF, Qt, Gtk, Swing.
- Experience with embedded software systems and firmware development is strongly desired, as is experience of interfacing software with bespoke hardware. Some basic electronics knowledge would be beneficial.
- Ideally the candidate will have 2-3 years of relevant industrial experience. Experience within a multidisciplinary R&D environment would be beneficial.
- Development under quality systems using extensive unit testing and code reviews is preferred. Knowledge of ISO13485 (Medical Devices) would be beneficial as would development under agile software practices whilst conforming to a quality system.
- Experience with IVD assay development or developing Life Science instruments or medical devices is desirable.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability to work in a dynamic team-based environment on complex, fast-paced projects, interacting with both internal and external partners are a must.
- Minimum BEng/BSc (or equivalent) in a Computer Science, Computer Science and Electronics, or Software Engineering degree is highly desirable.
- Good sense of humour, positive and constructive team player, and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation are essential.
- This job may require travel throughout the UK and some occasional international trips.
- A highly motivated, organized, proactive and enthusiastic individual with a proven ability to work.
- Candidate must be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.