QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
QuantuMDx is looking for a skilled and motivated Senior Embedded Software Engineer to develop software for both our Q-POC™ platform and internal research platforms, in addition to liaising with our engineering and software partners across the globe to realise the Q-POC™ system.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, in a highly collaborative manner.
The ideal candidate is someone with a great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows.
The candidate hired for this role will work within a team of scientists and other engineers developing software for the operation of molecular diagnostic devices. This work may encompass bespoke hardware control, data and image analysis, peripheral driver code, such as to control different types of actuators, and overall system control firmware to sequence and schedule instrument operations. The role carries significant design responsibility and ownership of core control firmware responsible for critical diagnostic functions of the Q-POC™ instrument.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- 8 years+ C development experience
- ARM Cortex processor family experience
- RTOS (such as FreeRTOS) utilisation experience
- Medical device development experience essential (ISO 13485 / IEC 62304 compliant)
- Proven full life-cycle capabilities, in particular: design, build test and maintenance of embedded software
- Capable of robust design and implementation, from hardware driver level through to overall architecture
- Ability to debug software down to board level using equipment such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters and logic analysers
- Experience of embedded firmware development and interfacing with bespoke hardware
- Experience working closely with electronics engineers
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a dynamic environment on complex, fast-paced projects, interacting with both internal and external partners.
- A good sense of humour, positive and constructive team player, and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation is essential.
- Minimum BEng/BSc (or equivalent) in a Computer Science, Computer Science and Electronics, or Software Engineering degree is highly desirable.
- Cloud-based service development experience or cloud-based technology use.
- Product and software development experience in the life science/biotech arena.
- Development under quality systems using extensive unit testing and code reviewing is preferred.
- Experience developing under agile software practices whilst conforming to a quality system would be beneficial
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and diagnostics companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device, Q-POC™, is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics. Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering gold-standard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the price of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing for just a few dollars, in any setting globally.