QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Senior Clinical Assay Research Scientist
Senior Clinical Assay Research Scientist
Clinical Assay Team
QMDx has an opening for an experienced Senior Research Scientist to support the Clinical Assay Team lead in executing plans and research to develop the Company’s diagnostic platform, the Q-POC™.
Must have the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, have experience in delivering excellent scientific results and supervising others to achieve this. The ability to take on new challenges and support the team as it expands.
Working professionally with chemists, physicists and engineers, the post holder will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of bacterial concentration and nucleic acid testing. The initial focus of the work will be working as a molecular and microbiologist supporting the development of point of care Tuberculosis diagnostics. Must input into experimental design and implementation in addition to supporting the Research Scientists, Junior Research Scientists and Assay Team Technicians.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- To be a laboratory based Senior molecular/ microbiologist within the Clinical Assay development team based in Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Performing general molecular and biology based tasks, including: Assay design, Bacterial culture, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, Fluorescence microscopy, Sputum processing, Bacterial quantification.
- Support the development of novel cell concentration technologies.
- To report to and support the Team Lead.
- Supervise the experiments of others in the team as required
- Be able to follow and write SOPs and review those written by junior staff.
- Safe laboratory practices.
- Record results accurately and in a Laboratory Book in accordance with Company policy and GDP.
- Write accurate experimental plans and reports and review those written by junior staff.
- Record and interpret results to present to line manager and other managers and project groups.
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Work within the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards.
- Effectively interact with other Technical and Development teams.
- Comply with QA standards and policies and ensuring that targets are achieved.
- To provide support to the commercialisation activities of the company.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A PhD and significant experience in micro and molecular biology.
- Previous experience of molecular diagnostics and or infectious disease.
- Previous experience of working in a molecular or microbiology lab and with BSL II organisms.
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and containment.
- Previous experience supervising junior researchers.
- Ability to work with of scientists to accomplish research project objectives and goals.
- Meticulous record keeping.
- A willingness to learn new techniques and a readiness to understand technologies from multiple disciplines.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast paced projects.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Previous experience working with BSL III organisms.
- Previous experience working with Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Experience handling biological samples such as DNA, blood, saliva, swabs.
- Having previously developed or worked with in vitro diagnostic products.
- Industrial experience.
- Previous experience of infectious disease diagnostics or lab on a chip technology.
- Previous experience of assay validation.
- Microfluidics experience.
- Knowledge of statistics.
- Knowledge of programming.
- GLP or ISO standard experience.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and diagnostics companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device, Q-POC™, is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics. Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering gold-standard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the price of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing for just a few dollars, in any setting globally.