QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Mechanical Engineer
QuantuMDx is looking for a skilled and experienced Mechanical Engineer to develop engineering solutions for research and commercial development across our platforms, and to liaise with partners across the globe to realise the Q-POC™ platform.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities.
This ideal candidate is someone with diverse experience and great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows. They will be involved in design, build and testing of our prototypes, and providing in-field global support.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
The candidate hired for this role will work within a team of scientists and engineers developing QuantuMDx’s portable molecular diagnostic device and molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases.
The candidate will also be required to not only work and ensure excellent communication within the development team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, but also work as part of a wider research group, with QuantuMDx’s other laboratories and partners globally.
Adhere to all of QuantuMDx’s Quality Assurance (QA) Systems.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- The candidate hired for this role will be an extraordinary individual who has strong technical understanding and experience in engineering design, ideally for life science instrumentation and microfluidics, and a proven ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers to accomplish product development goals.
- Experience with a 3D CAD system, preferably SolidWorks v2017.
- Understanding of the dimensioning, tolerancing and surface characteristics necessary for microfluidics.
- Knowledge of techniques for design for manufacture, assembly and maintenance.
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects.
- Understanding of appropriate manufacturing processes.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and an ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in product engineering preferably with experience of life science instrumentation.
- Understanding of electronics including interpreting PCB designs diagrams and schematics, component recognition, electrical safety.
- MEng or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Good sense of humour, team player and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Be able to travel globally to provide support for our partners.
- Practical engineering workshop skills
- Experience with flow and thermal simulation.
- Experience with microfluidics
- Experience of calculations software, eg Mathcad
- Experience of 2D CAD software, ideally AutoCAD
- Design of instruments and consumables for the Life Sciences.
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements.
- Familiarity with global regulatory requirements that pertain to product development and in vitro device manufacturing (e.g. CE IVD mark, FDA, etc).
- Electrical assembly skills including PCB assembling and wiring.
- Familiarity with test and diagnostic software eg Serial Terminal emulators.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.