QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Junior Mechanical Engineer
Junior Mechanical Engineer
QuantuMDx are developing Q-POC™, a a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side.
This requires complex and precision design and manufacturing solutions.
The Junior Mechanical Engineer is expected to proactively support the engineering team through extensive design in SolidWorks, machining with a precision mill, use of a laser cutter and other workshop tools (for which training will be given).
The Engineer will, in conjunction with other members of the engineering team, design manufacture and assemble instrument prototypes, rigs, jigs and microfluidic cassettes for ongoing product development. In addition, the Engineer will support the work of scientists in the laboratories, to modify and maintain prototoypes and rigs in a laboratory environment.
The Engineer will work to requirement specifications and following more informal instructions.
All our work is carried out to the quality requirements of ISO13485 (Medical Design Directive), requiring the ability to write reports on work carried out, and to record design decisions.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Design using SolidWorks of jigs, fixtures, instrument rigs.
- Manufacture, using workshop tools including laser cutters and precision CNC mills of cassettes, jigs and fixtures.
- Manufacture of microfluidic devices using precision CNC mills.
- Liaise with external partners for the cost effective manufacture and timely delivery of components and solutions.
- There may be the opportunity to use COMSOL to model fluid and thermal flow to aid design modifications.
- There will be the opportunity to learn about medical devices, particularly the requirements for sample preparation, DNA amplification and analysis, and how excellent engineering is an essential contribution to these processes.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively with engineers, scientists and management and external partners, in the UK, across Europe and the world.
- Adhere to QuantuMDx’s quality systems.
- Undertake all tasks as may reasonably be requested by the Engineering Team, Senior Management and Board.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- Degree or equivalent in a Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Experience with a modern CAD system, preferably SolidWorks.
- Knowledge of design techniques for manufacture, assembly and maintenance.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes including machining, laser cutting, injection moulding, laser welding.
- Ability to report on activities and record decisions in a professional and timely manner both verbally and through formal, quality documentation.
- Good sense of humour, a team player and an ability to adapt to a dynamic environment as the company transitions from R&D to production and commercialisation.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Understanding of materials for microfluidics.
- Design of instruments and consumables for the Life Sciences.
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements, all regulatory requirements that pertain to product development and in vitro device manufacturing (e.g. CE IVD mark, FDA, etc.).
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects.
- An understanding of electronics and software.
- Experience with microfluidics, flow simulation and thermal simulation.
- Understanding of functional dimensioning, tolerances and surface roughness necessary for microfluidics.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.