QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Junior Electronics Engineer
Junior Electronics Engineer
QuantuMDx is looking for a skilled junior electrical/electronic engineer to develop engineering solutions for our Q-POCTM platform, for research and commercial development across our platforms, and to liaise with our engineering partners across the globe to realise the Q-POCTM platform.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities.
This ideal candidate is someone with diverse experience and great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows.
The Engineer will work to requirement specifications and following more informal instructions.
All our work is carried out to the quality requirements of ISO13485 (Medical Design Directive), requiring the ability to write reports on work carried out, and to record design decisions.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- The candidate hired for this role will work within a team of scientists and engineers developing QuantuMDx’s portable molecular diagnostic device and molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases.
- They will interact with and ensure excellent communication with the other QuantuMDx R&D groups, primarily the biosensor team and external engineering partners.
- The candidate will also be required to not only work within the development team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, but also work as part of a wider research group, with QuantuMDx’s other laboratories and partners globally.
- The candidate will adhere to all of QuantuMDx’s Quality Assurance (QA) Systems.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
The person holding this position will be an extraordinary individual who has strong technical understanding of engineering design and build and an ability to work within a team to accomplish product development goals.
- Familiarity with a modern electronic CAD PCB layout system, BOM, build instructions and technical data.
- Experience in Digital and Analogue circuit design.
- Able to support the efficient production, test, qualification and integration of new designs.
- Experience with prototyping, power supplies design.
- Familiar with digital oscilloscope, power supplies and good soldering techniques.
- Experience with analogue connectors suitable for connecting instruments to single use disposables.
- Ability to source components, PCBs and bespoke silicon devices.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and an ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Minimum 1 year experience working in product engineering preferably with experience of life science instrumentation. For recent graduates, this could be a placement undertaken as part of your studies.
- BSc or equivalent in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or similar.
- Good sense of humour, team player and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Experience with embedded software development and I/O
- Design of instruments and consumables for the Life Sciences.
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements.
- Experience with designing and building drivers for precision motor control, valve control, and precision temperature control.
- Experience of interfacing to embedded controllers including Android based hardware.
- Understanding of appropriate manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of techniques for design for manufacture, assembly, test and maintenance.
- Experience with high resolution, very low current analogue to digital converters.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.