QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Engineering Workshop Technician
Engineering Workshop Technician
QuantuMDx are developing a revolutionary handheld point-of-care medical diagnostic device, the Q-POC™, to rapidly diagnose infectious diseases, particularly in Low Income Countries, and so have a major positive impact on health.
This requires complex and precision design and manufacturing solutions.
The Technician will, in conjunction with other members of the engineering team, manufacture and assemble instrument prototypes, rigs, jigs and microfluidic cassettes for ongoing product development. In addition, the Technician will support the work of scientists in the laboratories, to modify and maintain prototypes and rigs in a laboratory environment.
The Technician will work to requirement specifications and following more informal instructions.
All our work is carried out to the quality requirements of ISO13485 (Medical Design Directive), requiring the ability to write reports on work carried out, and to record design decisions.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Interpret engineering design documents: 2D drawings and 3D CAD models
- Interpret electronic schematic and PCB designs
- Manufacture, of cassettes, jigs and fixtures using workshop tools including laser cutters, precision CNC mills, 3D printers
- Manufacture of microfluidic devices using precision CNC mills.
- Manage material and parts stock control.
- Maintain efficient operation of the engineering workshop.
- Liaise with external partners for the cost effective manufacture and timely delivery of components and solutions
- Communicate efficiently and effectively with engineers, scientists and management and external partners, in the UK, across Europe and the world.
- Adhere to QuantuMDx’s quality systems
Experience, knowledge and requirements
The person holding this position will be an extraordinary individual who has strong technical understanding of engineering design and build and an ability to work within a team to accomplish product development goals.
- At least 3 years experience in a prototyping engineering workshop
- Experience of CAM G-Code, ideally Mach3
- Understanding of machining characteristics of different polymers.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes including 4-axis machining, laser cutting, 3D printing
- Understanding of functional dimensioning, tolerances and surface characteristics necessary for microfluidics.
- Basic electronic assembly skills: soldering, wiring and PCB assembly
- Ability to report on activities and record decisions in a professional and timely manner both verbally and through formal, quality documentation
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good sense of humour, a team player and an ability to adapt to a dynamic environment as the company transitions from R&D to production and commercialisation
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction
- Experience of 3D CAD/CAM software, ideally Solidworks 2017 & HSMWorks
- Experience of 2D CAD software, ideally AutoCAD
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects.
- An understanding of electronics and software
- Experience with microfluidics
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to HR@QUANTUMDX.COM.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and technology companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device Q-POC™ is a low-cost, simple-to-use, handheld diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics.
Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering goldstandard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the cost of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing from just a few dollars, in any setting globally.