QuantuMDx is dedicated to improving and democratising global health by providing transformative diagnostic tools to overburdened healthcare systems.
QuantuMDx Research Scientist – Assay Development
This role requires an Assay Research Scientist to support the QuantuMDx Group commercialisation programme by working within the Assay team to develop the Company’s diagnostic platform, the Q-POC™.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities. A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges is essential as the company grows and projects expand.
Working with chemists, physicists and engineers, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development of in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) products in the areas of nucleic acid testing.
The initial focus of the work will be working as a molecular biologist supporting the development of point of care diagnostics.
Seeking a candidate to work on molecular assay development, including assay design, PCR, sample preparation, microfluidics and microbiology. Previous experience of molecular diagnostics, assay design and handling biological is highly desirable. Additional experience in data analysis, statistics microfluidics or clinical trials is desirable but not essential.
The successful candidate will input into experimental design in addition to supporting junior team members.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
To be a laboratory based molecular/ microbiologist within the Assay development team based in Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Performing molecular and biology based tasks in relation to diagnostic assays, including: Assay design, PCR, qPCR, DNA/RNA extraction, sample handling.
- Support the development of novel molecular diagnostic platform.
- To report to the Team Leader.
- Be able to follow and write SOPs
- Perform safe laboratory practices
- Record results accurately and in a Laboratory Book in accordance with Company policy and GDP.
- Write accurate experimental plans and reports.
- Record and interpret results to present to line manager.
- Follow and ensure strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Work within the Company’s Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards.
- Effectively interact with other Technical and Development teams.
- Comply with QA standards and policies and ensuring that targets are achieved.
- To provide support to the commercialisation activities of the company.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A PhD (or significant experience) in molecular biology or related discipline.
- Previous experience of molecular diagnostics.
- Previous experience of qPCR and assay design.
- Previous experience in research and development
- Experience in nucleic acid extraction from biological samples such as DNA, blood, saliva, swabs
- Capable of independent experimental design
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and containment.
- Ability to work with of scientists to accomplish research project objectives and goals.
- Meticulous record keeping.
- A willingness to learn new techniques.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Excellent communication/IT skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Previous experience of infectious disease diagnostics
- Previous experience with programming (primarily R script) and or statistics.
- Microbiology experience
- Industrial experience
- Previous experience of assay validation
- Involvement in clinical trials
- Microfluidics experience.
- GLP or ISO standard experience
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to HR@QUANTUMDX.COM.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and diagnostics companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device, Q-POC™, is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics. Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering gold-standard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the price of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing for just a few dollars, in any setting globally.