A Senior Electronics Engineer is required mainly to develop the electronic engineering solutions for research and commercial development of our CAPTURE-XT™ and DNA-XT™ devices, through the creation and management of electronic system architectures, overseeing and approval of PCB design, and control of embedded firmware development.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- To work within a team of scientists and engineers developing QuantuMDx’s portable molecular diagnostic device and molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases.
- To interact with, and ensure excellent communication within QuantuMDx R&D groups and external engineering partners.
- Creation and management of electronic system architectures, overseeing and approval of PCB design, and control of embedded firmware development
- To assist the Engineering Team Lead in mentoring and guiding the intermediate and Junior Electronic Engineers
- This role will also be required to not only work within the development team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, but also work as part of a wider research group; with QuantuMDx other laboratories and partners globally.
- Adhere to all of QuantuMDx Quality Assurance (QA) Systems.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
The successful candidate will be an extraordinary individual who has strong technical understanding and experience in engineering design for life science instrumentation and a proven ability to work within a team of scientists and engineers to accomplish product development goals.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Experience of managing the electronic design aspect of instrument development from research concepts through to production
- Good understanding of dielectrophoresis principles
- Understanding of electrical field generation and electrode design
- Experience of designing RF signal generator and amplifier systems
- Experience with Altium PCB CAD layout system.
- Experience with designing and building drivers for precision motor control and valve control
- Experience with designing and building drivers for precision temperature control
- Experience with high resolution, very low current analogue to digital converters
- Experience with analogue connectors suitable for connecting instruments to single use disposables
- Knowledge of techniques for design for manufacture, assembly, test and maintenance
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects
- Understanding of appropriate manufacturing processes
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects
- Outstanding teamwork and an ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience working in product engineering, preferably with experience of life science instrumentation
- MSc or equivalent in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or similar
- Good sense of humour, team player and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialisation.
- Experience with dielectrophoresis (DEP) systems
- Experience with embedded software and I/O
- Experience of MEMS fabrications
- Experience of interfacing to embedded controllers
- Experience of fluid interface electronics
- Experience of working with Linux or Android based platforms
- Understanding of electronic biosensors
- Design of instruments and consumables for the Life Sciences
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is an exciting and highly innovative multinational company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa.
The Company’s technology innovates the molecular diagnostic work-flow, enabling delivery of rapid actionable answers to complex clinical questions at a price point accessible to both high and low resource settings.
The Company’s flagship device is the Q-POC™, due for commercialisation in 2019, a simple-to-use, affordable, portable sample to answer molecular diagnostic device. With its laboratory quality testing and cost-effective disposable, Q-POC™ will bring the power of precision medicine to health professionals throughout the world, regardless of location or budget. Moreover, with its best in class multiplexing technology, it enables rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance and subsequent ‘right first-time prescribing’.
The company is developing further diagnostic platforms that can be used as standalone devices or integrated into diagnostic workflows. Products include pathogen enricher CAPTURE-XT™ and rapid sample preparation kit DNA-XT™.