This role requires a highly self-motivated and enthusiastic Assay Technician to work in the Assay Team of the QuantuMDx Research and Development programme. This role involves laboratory-based experimentation, which will assist in the development of QuantuMDx’s point of care diagnostic platform, as well maintenance and service provision. Laboratory work will focus on testing & developing DNA-/RNA- based DNA extraction & purification technologies. There will also be some involvement in experimental design and in determining the future direction of the company’s R&D and commercial products.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- To be part of the Assay team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne advancing the molecular biology used in QuantuMDx’s flagship device, the Q-POC.
- To aid in the development, optimisation & commercialisation of a range of proprietary sample-to-result diagnostic products.
- Test, optimise & develop new and existing DNA extraction technologies.
- To work not only within the Assay team, but also to provide scientific support across the QMDx teams and laboratories.
- Perform DNA/RNA extraction on a range of biological samples.
- To work to ensure the company’s research is fully compliant with Quality System Regulations (QSRs) that meet FDA, IVDD, and ISO expectations.
- To disseminate and present research data internally.
- To provide support to the commercialization activities of the company.
- Record and present data to line manager & colleagues.
- Attend lab, team and project meetings.
- Write scientific plans and reports, SOPs, Risk assessments, COSHH forms.
- Manipulate and analyse datasets.
- Contribute to maintenance of the lab and equipment.
- Work within the quality systems, including following GDP and working towards ISO 13485.
- Undertake other tasks as may reasonably be requested be senior staff.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- A Degree (e.g. BSc) in Biomedical Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related subject.
- Proven laboratory experience, including the use of basic biological research equipment, such as pipettes & centrifuges, and maintaining a laboratory notebook.
- Experience of PCR techniques.
- A keen interest in R&D, a willingness to learn, and the drive to develop a molecular diagnostics device that could help millions of people.
- Good mathematical skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to fit into a fast-paced, dynamic team environment as the Company matures and moves from the R&D stage towards commercialisation.
- A highly motivated, organized, proactive and enthusiastic individual with a proven ability to work well on their own initiative or as part of a team.
- Good multi-tasking and time-management skills.
- Good sense of humour.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- This job may require travel throughout the UK and some international trips.
- A Master’s Degree (e.g. MSc, MRes) in Biomedical Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related subject.
- Experience of handling biological samples, such as blood and/or cell cultures.
- Experience of real-time qPCR, DNA extraction procedures or work involving RNA.
- Some knowledge of microfluidic systems.
To apply for this role please send a cover letter and CV to HR@QUANTUMDX.COM.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
QuantuMDx Group is one of the most exciting life sciences, tools and diagnostics companies to emerge from the UK in recent years. Due for commercialisation in 2018, their signature device, Q-POC™, is a low-cost, simple-to-use, portable diagnostic device for 10 – 20 minute diagnosis at the patient’s side. The robust device will identify the presence and strain of an infection, ensuring the right drug is prescribed first time, facilitating a more intelligent use of antibiotics. Further to this, globally distributed Q-POC™ devices will geotag and anonymise pathogen data, sending it to the cloud for real-time disease and drug resistance monitoring, and rapid detection and containment of pathogens.
Q-POC™ is ideally suited to help address the humanitarian health burden by offering gold-standard molecular diagnostics at a fraction of the price of traditional testing. Once the device has passed regulatory approval it will be available for highly multiplexed diagnostic and drug susceptibility testing for just a few dollars, in any setting globally.